Sunday, April 11, 2010

Goodbye baby-hello toddler!

Jack started taking steps this week. Sad! I no longer officially have a "baby" - he is a "toddler"!! I can't believe how fast this year has gone! Anyways, he has been popping up to a standing position from the floor all week, and all the sudden decided to add some steps. So cute-he looks like a little robot, all stiff legged. I will some day include pictures of all of this.....maybe. (-: Where did my baby go? Whoever took him please bring him back! I just have to remind myself of my New Year's resolution- "to be present". "What?" you may say. Well let me explain....I am what you could call an obsessive planner. I know many of you already may know my little dirty secert, it's time to come clean about it. I can't live without my day planner, and it has every detail of my day carefully planned out to maximize time/people/and energy, and doing it all while multitasking everything. I get a lot done. I am efficient. I am organized. And lately I am worn out, tired, and grumpy. I've been reading a really good book about being present. It is really interesting and has got me thinking and reflecting. I always tell myself "when ____ is done, then I can have some fun/relax/play/etc." Well guess what, blank is never done. There is always, always, some mundane task ahead, waiting to pull me from my "moment" with my kids, at work, with my family, or my good friends. I am sick of it, and realize that I have missed, and am missing a lot of moments. I want to be in that moment fully enjoying it with my kids, not always rushing to make it to my next thing to check off my list. So guess what I signed up for: a sewing/quilting class with my sister, possibly a dance class (minus the spanadex after 3 kids), and am going to run a half marathon or two this summer. So is there going to be panic attacks along the way, and lists of how not to have lists? Sure, but I'm going to try to relax, leave the messy house along with the stupid lists, and force myself if I have to, to be present. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. You totally can do it! I am glad to know someone else who lives by her to do list, but think you're totally right to try and be present more. I definitely can work on that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the title of the book you are reading? Sounds like something I could use. I think moms in general are so stinkin busy trying to do it all that it can be hard to enjoy the moments that are happening all around us. Good luck on your resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey tiff!! What a big boy! I can't believe it. I love your resolution...we must be related. I need to take a chill pill (or 5) and just enjoy life!! It's a lot harder than it sounds tho... :) Good job for signing up for classes and planning to run a half marathon or two! Maybe I will do the same... you're my inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete